Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair

Landlords are required by law to ensure that your property is kept in good repair.  If you are a tenant living in either social or private housing which has fallen into disrepair you may be able to make a claim against your landlord under Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 and the Fitness for Human Habitation Act.

Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act

The landlord must keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property and keep in repair and property working order the installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, space heating, and heating water.

Fitness for Human Habitation Act

The Fitness for Human Habitation seeks to improve housing conditions.  It is an implied term of a residential tenancy agreement that the landlord shall ensure that the property is fit for human habitation.  This term adds to the landlord’s repairing obligations under Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act and covers both private and social landlords.

A property could be deemed unfit for human habitation because of one or more of the following factors:

  • Repair
  • Stability
  • Freed from damp
  • Internal arrangement
  • Natural light
  • Ventilation
  • Water Supply
  • Drainage and sanitary conveniences
  • Facilities for the preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of wastewater

Who is responsible For repairs

The responsibility for housing disrepair falls to the landlord whether you are a social tenant living in a housing association or a council-owned property or a private tenant with a private landlord.

Your landlord has a continuing obligation to keep up the standard of repair throughout the duration of the tenancy.

We understand that it is often difficult to determine who is responsible for repairs in your home and what areas of part of the structure and exterior.  Your tenancy agreement should outline what repairs your landlord is responsible for and what repairs you, as the tenant, are responsible for. However, we have put together a helpful list of repairs that are usually the responsibility of the landlord

What should I do if my property is in disrepair?

If your property is suffering from disrepair you must report the disrepair to your landlord and allow your landlord a reasonable period of time in which to carry out repairs. 

If you have reported a problem in your property that has been ignored by your landlord or your landlord has failed to carry out repairs to a reasonable standard then you may be entitled to bring a claim for housing disrepair.

How do I bring a claim for housing disrepair?

We appreciate that making a claim against your housing association or private landlord might feel like a huge task but don’t be intimidated as our expert team of housing disrepair specialists will be with you every step of the way and will guide you through the process.

We will take away the stress and hassle and keep you updated throughout.

What to do next

If you have a housing disrepair dispute with your landlord we can help you.  Get in touch with our specialist housing disrepair team today to get free no obligation advice.  We will carry out a simple assessment to see whether you are eligible to make a claim.

Angelus law offers a no win, no fee agreement for housing disrepair claims.  A no win, no fee agreement is a conditional fee agreement which means Angelus Law will fund your claim so you won’t have to worry about paying upfront legal fees.

Make a Claim

Get in touch with our Housing Disrepair team to make a claim. Please complete your details below and we will contact you.